This project involved intrusive ground investigation works along the line of the 6km proposed new bypass road located to the south of the town of Newtown. The site works entailed:
- 59 rotary cored boreholes with typical depths between 10m and 20m and a maximum depth of 35m.
- 6 rotary open hole boreholes, typically with depths between 10m and 15m.
- 15 windowless sample boreholes.
- 123 trial pits with typical depths between 3m and 4.5m.
- 25 trial trenches, with typical depths between 3m and 4.5m.
- In-situ testing.
- Disturbed and undisturbed sampling.
- Geotechnical logging.
- Installation of monitoring equipment; Inclinometers, vibrating wire piezometers.
- Geophysical televiewer and acoustic logging.
Ongoing geotechnical and environmental laboratory testing was undertaken throughout the project, culminating in a ground investigation factual report. The site is mostly classified as Green with localised Yellow areas in accordance with British Drilling Association guidelines.